Subject: [bug#74837] [PATCH v3 0/2] resize-file-system-service

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 16:18:21 -0500

> I would avoid abbreviations as usual and go for
> ‘file-system-resizing-service-type’.  WDYT?

Sounds good to me.

> I wonder if Guile-Parted could be used instead of ‘growpart’ (shouldn’t
> be a blocker though).

This is an interesting idea. parted can tell us the file system type
at runtime, reducing the amount of information the user needs to
provide (at the cost of not catching invalid file-system-type values
at build-time.)

> No need for ‘let/ec’ here, you can just return from the ‘guard’ handler.

What would that look like? We don't want to capture an error in
grow-filesystem-command with an exit-status of 1, so it lives outside
the guard, and we don't want to raise an exception if the partition
was already resized.

(Side note, should Shepherd consider a service perpetually starting if
the start constructor exits without returning a value?)

V3 should have all other feedback implemented.

Richard Sent (2):
  packages: cloud-utils: Add missing growpart programs to path.
  gnu: services: Add resize-file-system-service.

 doc/guix.texi          |  54 +++++++++++++++++
 gnu/packages/admin.scm |  15 ++++-
 gnu/services/admin.scm | 133 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 3 files changed, 198 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

base-commit: 0787a180b3ca64d3958438920ca1b58a2a27fba4
-- 
2.46.0