Subject: Re: bug#74833: 31.0.50; Copy to OS clipboard doesn't work in macOS Terminal.app with xterm-mouse-mode enabled

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 15:54:24 -0500

I'm afraid to say that TERM indicates terminfo support, not whether
terminal.app provides full xterm compatibility which I believe it doesn't,
at least not without manual modifications to the key maps and I can't speak
to other xterm features. This will require some experimentation. Give
xterm.el a try and see how it goes. I would not load that by default
without conformance testing of some kind. I suppose it would already have
been by now if it was known to work.

Take a look at this page
https://dotat.at/@/2020-12-12-terminal-app-xterm-compatibiity.html someone
did some work in this regard. I might give some of this a try myself one
day.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2024 at 3:32 PM Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 13/12/2024 18:49 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
> >> Cc: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> >> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 19:35:15 +0300
> >>
> >> On 13/12/2024 09:21 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >>
> >> > So why is this an Emacs bug?  It sounds like the OP expects something
> >> > to happen which shouldn't, because the xterm protocol for selections
> >> > and the clipboard are not supported by Terminal.app?  In that case,
> >> > this could be at best a feature request, not a bug.
> >>
> >> I'll try to explain differently.
> >>
> >> Without xterm-mouse-mode you can copy/paste from/into Terminal.app
> >> window, looks like Terminal.app gives this ability on its own.  This is
> >> not integration with Emacs kill ring, no.  Emacs cursor does not react
> >> to mouse clicks, and selection happens with OS mouse pointer.  Paste
> >> works rather slow (bad idea to paste large chunks of text), but
> >> tolerable.
> >>
> >> Now, yesterday my daily master build got me xterm-mouse-mode enabled, so
> >> I did some testing just out of curiosity.  Most of the things work,
> >> including clicking and selection.  However, Command-C now just doesn't
> >> copy text to OS clipboard.  And it's non-obvious that you should disable
> >> xterm-mouse-mode to be able to copy.
> >
> > xterm-mouse-mode is supposed to be enabled only on terminals that load
> > xterm.el, which means they are xterm-compatible.  Does Terminal.app
> > load xterm.el on startup?
>
> Terminal.app sets TERM=xterm-256color (this is configurable in "Settings
> -> Profiles -> Advanced -> Declare terminal as", I doubt I ever changed
> it), so xterm.el should be loaded, yes.
>
> Other term-related vars are:
>
> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=453
> TERM_SESSION_ID=1251C872-8246-4380-A2AE-ED1F8B649878
>