Subject: Re: bug#74833: 31.0.50; Copy to OS clipboard doesn't work in macOS Terminal.app with xterm-mouse-mode enabled

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 20:55:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 20:54:53 +0300
>> 
>> macOS, Terminal.app, xterm-mouse-mode enabled
>> emacs -nw -Q
>> Select something with mouse, press Command-c
>> Try to paste into another program - text is not in the clipboard
>> 
>> Perhaps this is not new, I just tried xterm-mouse-mode for the first
>> time, given that it's now the default in master.
>> 
>> Trying different combinations of select-enable-clipboard and
>> select-enable-primary did not help (that variables are all I know in
>> this area).
>
> Does the macOS Terminal.app support the xterm mouse protocol?

Yes it does.

The clipboard problem is something unrelated. Terminal applications can
access the macOS clipboard via command line utilities pbcopy and
pbpaste. I'm using the package xclip for that, which is very simple to
use

  ;; Clipboard support in terminal Emacs using pbcopy/pbpaste.
  (use-package xclip :straight t
    :if (not (display-graphic-p))
    :config (xclip-mode 1))

Command-C, Command-V in Terminal.app are used by Terminal.app itself and
not by applications running in the terminal emulator. For example, to
copy shell output or paste something as shell input.

I don't think Terminal.app allows altering Command-V etc. so that Emacs
could use them. Other terminal emulators like iTerm allow doing that.

In summary, this is not a bug.