Subject: bug#74833: 31.0.50; Copy to OS clipboard doesn't work in macOS Terminal.app with xterm-mouse-mode enabled

From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2024 15:51:14 -0800

On 2024-12-23 11:43, Ship Mints wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
>>> 
>>> Away from a computer, but I think this is still the same in 0.82 
>>> these days and I assume you're using modern
>>> ssh.
>>> 
>>> https://serverfault.com/a/819740
>> 
>> OK, so does this mean we want to tell PuTTY users to configure this in
>> some specific way that Emacs can recognize?
> 
> Still away from a computer. If you can set a variable using that method 
> and have it pass through for you to test in lisp, then it would be a 
> good idea to recommend. We could suggest using TERM_PROGRAM and setting 
> it to "Putty".

What if we only auto-enabled xterm-mouse-mode on OSC52 compatible 
terminals? Between $TERM and the results from the terminal escape 
sequence "ESC [ > 0 q", Emacs can have high confidence if it is running 
on an OSC52 compatible terminal. I checked against most of the terminals 
mentioned at 
https://can-i-use-terminal.github.io/features/osc52copy.html I just 
wasn't able to test Foot (Wayland-only), hterm (Chromebook-only), mintty 
(Cygwin-only), or xterm.js (I have no idea how to test).

   -- MJF