Subject: Re: bug#74833: 31.0.50; Copy to OS clipboard doesn't work in macOS Terminal.app with xterm-mouse-mode enabled

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 04:32:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 15:07:25 -0500
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
>> 	[email-masked]
>> 
>> Now I see the recent change to master (Dec 9). I'd add that pretty much every other "curses" based app
>> that supports mouse activity defaults to mouse on, though. Not sure
>> why Emacs's recent default to on should
>> be surprising. People would be surprised that the mouse doesn't work. That Terminal.app also steals
>> command keys from those apps is also not a surprise.
>
> First, xt-mouse is not about curses, it's about xterm-specific mouse
> protocol.

Replace "curses" which he put in quotes with terminal application and
what Ship Mints says is true.

> And second, the issue here, at least for me, is not the user surprise
> that the mouse works, it's that features which used to work in Emacs
> when running on Terminal.app before that change cease to work, at
> least in some situations, now.

I really don't know what you are talking about when you write "feature
in Emacs". There is no feature _in_ Emacs that is broken. Emacs doesn't
even get a keyboard event for Command-C, it has no idea what is going
on.

It's Terminal.app that behaves differently. And Terminal.app has
previsions for that (Command-R, Fn-mouse).