Subject: bug#74807: 30.0.90; Eglot: Non-Markdown strings rendered as Markdown

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 09:18:37 +0000

Troy Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2025 at 7:28 PM João Távora <[email-masked]> wrote:

> data point.  I think it's unwise to completely disregard that
> information.

I'm sure to treasure your remarks about my wisdom going forward.

>> Those are the users I don't want to disturb.  Who's to say that Eglot users
>> of your ada-language-server aren't quite happy to see "Indentation kind"
>> fontified with a certain face  and "spaces | tabs" in another face?
>
> I'm not quite sure what your point is.

Other users may very well be content with the current Emacs behaviour,
which gives them coloured documentation for ada-language-server.  If I
change it in the direction you argue, I destroy this value and create no
new value.  Is it still difficult to comprehend?

> I am both a user of Eglot and a user of the language server and I'm
> not happy with this behavior, nor do I think Eglot's behavior is
> correct.  How is my experience any less important than any other user?

Never said it is.  It's also no more important than other users.

> I am trying to point out where the "Emacs experience" is subpar

And you did that.  Then I spent my time thinking about this and came to
a different conclusion.

> Moving on, I've done some digging and found historical information
> that I believe is relevant.

It's irrelevant, of course.  Markdown is specifically designed to render
non marked-up aka "plain" text reasonably.  It would be much more
relevant if you could actually find plaintext that Markdown mistakes for
a link or something to get it to be actually harmful.

Even then, because of what I've already stated, I'm not sure I'd change
it.

If it's such a hill to die on, I'd spend my time arguing with the
ada-language-server author to specifically provide those snippets inside
a MarkupContent struct.

João