Subject: bug#74807: 30.0.90; Eglot: Non-Markdown strings rendered as Markdown

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2025 00:28:47 +0000

On Mon, Jan 6, 2025 at 11:56 PM Troy Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > careful to do these kinds of changes.  As you know, Eglot works with a
> > large body of servers, and I wouldn't be at all surprised that some of
> > those servers (or, more importantly, regular users of those servers) do
...
> Furthermore, I would think that if, as you suggest, there were servers
> which expected plain strings to be rendered as Markdown here, the
> VSCode implementation would not avoid rendering plain strings as
> markdown.

This VSCode argument is not meaningful to me.  Not only does it not
command any special authority over disambiguation of an ambiguous spec,
but the "regular users of those servers" I'm concerned with are longtime
Eglot users, not VSCoders.

Those are the users I don't want to disturb.  Who's to say that Eglot users
of your ada-language-server aren't quite happy to see "Indentation kind"
fontified with a certain face  and "spaces | tabs" in another face?

> While you might argue that the example I've shown is a fringe example,
> I'm sure you could envision other documentation content which uses
> characters which are interpreted as markup, and shouldn't be.  I stand
> by my wording of "rendered incorrectly" when based on the content of
> the documentation, you might see it displayed differently, possibly
> more severely based on the documentation content.

Yes, it _could_ happen. But ostensibly it didn't happen in your case.  And
if it did happen to the point of "incorrectness", as you posit, then we would
see non-contrived bug reports on the matter.  And even then, a much better
fix would be for the server to be precise about its want for plain text.

João