Subject: Re: bug#74805: 30.0.92; Trying to build scratch/igc on Cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 09:51:40 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 15:17:03 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > What I did was to take the MSVC makefiles they provide and produce
> > equivalent MinGW makefiles (for GNU Make) instead, using the same
> > source files.  The rest was just to resolve any compilation warnings
> > or errors.  HTH.
> 
> Was any of that work upstreamed?  Maybe it doesn't make sense to do
> that, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I didn't upstream, but then no one asked me for the patches, which for
me is a clear sign that the 32-bit port of MPS to Windows/MinGW is not
too popular, to put it mildly.

> Would it make sense to document which ports are supported in README-IGC?

It cannot do any harm, although I also don't see how it will help.  If
the instructions there already don't produce a working library, then
the instructions should be amended, and perhaps subdivided to
system-specific ones; otherwise saying on which systems the library
works can only make sense if you want to avert people from trying the
branch on systems where we never tried to compile the library.