Subject: [bug#74801] [PATCH v2] gnu: home: services: Add home-mpv-service-type.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2025 10:49:14 +0200

Hello,

Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Could you include the code you used to generate the options?
>
> I definitely *could* do that.  While the code is maybe a bit ugly, it is
> not intended to be kept secret.  Couple of questions though.
>
> 1. Where should I put it?  Somewhere in etc directory?  Or next to the
>    service, so e.g. gnu/home/services/mpv-refresh.sh?
>
> 2. It has external dependencies, some of which are packaged in Guix
>    (emacs, emacs-paredit) and some of them are not (guile-wolfsden).  Is
>    that a problem?  Do I need to rewrite it to use just packaged
>    libraries and programs?

Well, in that case, maybe just include the URL in the script in the
comment (“Generated by …”).

Had it been pure Scheme (possibly based on (guix read-print) rather than
Emacs), we could have included it straight in the code, as is done for
Dovecot IIRC.  Someone updating it could use the relevant procedures at
the REPL to re-generate the option definitions.

Thanks,
Ludo’.