Subject: bug#74792: 29.2.50; goto-address-mode should support RET in special-mode buffers

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2025 18:20:15 -0400

As a more broad change which might also be useful, it would be nice if
there was a way to get goto-address-mode to use button.el buttons
instead of its own custom overlays.  Or perhaps to use wid-edit.el
widgets.

I say this because if I have:
- A buffer that has buttons or widgets
- where TAB is bound to button-forward or widget-forward to navigate
  between buttons,
- and which also contains some arbitrary stretches of text (e.g. commit messages)
- and which wants to make URLs in that text clickable

It would be nice to be able to use goto-address-mode to do this.  But it
would also be nice if goto-address-mode made the URLs into button.el
buttons or widgets, so that TAB navigated to the URLs too.

Perhaps this is just something the individual major mode should
implement, though?  But maybe there's some opportunity for sharing some
code to do the task "turn some text matching a regex into a
button/widget"?