Subject: bug#74785: 27.1; Fill-paragraph in RST mode does not respect line blocks

From: Stefan Merten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 17:50:48 +0100

Hi guys!

6 days ago Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> But that bug is about message-mode, not about rst-mode, so I'm not
>> sure it is the same problem.
> 
> It's not (that bug was about a prefix shared by lines of a paragraph,
> whereas this bug is about a prefix which starts a new paragraph).

Sorry, but it's not that simple. The syntax of reStructuredText is
pretty tricky and it needs lots of good ideas to handle it. But it's
nice to write and read - and that's is why it IMHO is still a
worthwhile alternative.

If it would be as simple as you suggest, I would have built it in from
the start. There is a reason for not doing it. Indeed line blocks were
at the end of my list of supported reST features because I think they
are used rarely.

The function `rst-line-tabs' has a FIXME comment:

  ;; FIXME: Must consider other tabs:
  ;;        * Line blocks
  ;;        * Definition lists
  ;;        * Option lists

I guess the real problem is in that second line, that line blocks are
not yet supported.

I'll look into this.

						Grüße

						Stefan