Subject: Re: bug#74780: Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 02:11:07 +0000

Hi Ludo’!

On Sat, Jan 04, 2025 at 06:38 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Sure.  Please do check the situation at
> <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/mesa-updates> and how it compares to
> ‘master’.
>

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on that and by overall percentage (from
the Cuirass homepage), the mesa-updates branch has been about equal to
master for a while. Though I know the missing stuff is for non-x86
which we get more of from Bordeaux, which is what I usually try to
wait for, unfortunately harder to tell without the handy QA page
comparison.

> You can check that direct dependents of packages that were upgraded
> still build fine.  For example, “guix build -P1 mesa --no-grafts -n -v1”
> will indicate whether substitutes are available for all of the direct
> dependents of ‘mesa’, meaning that they were successfully built.
>

Oh, the new dependents option for guix build, very nice! I hadn't
tried it before but this is great.

I didn't see something like this built-in (maybe I missed it?) but
seems pretty easy to do a comparison then to another branch. I just
did the same command on my 'master' worktree and compared, to see just
a few minor differences (so I restarted the builds since they didn't
have a clear error).

A little bash-fu could easily have a nice little comparison between
branches using substitute coverage, or maybe we want to add that as an
option directly? Maybe specifying two branches or commits to see what
package names differ (in hash or substitutes)?

> Thanks for working on this!
>
> Ludo’.

Most welcome!

Merged just now: 23231c296fb2c2af8c1c0a6ead1dd6f0833f7c45 to
a65ebe5fad6921dddb165f417761886fc114ad29.

Thanks,
John