Subject: [bug#74778] [PATCH v3] gnu: linux-libre: Enable simpledrm driver.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2025 16:56:30 -0500

On Wed, Jan 01, 2025 at 05:36:05AM +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> It's important to note that I made this change following this documentation
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceFbdevDrivers>
> 
> I'm sorry for not being careful, just now I paid extra attention that
> kernels older than 5.14 might be broken on someones' computers, so I guess
> it's necessary to add check for kernel version even if older kernels are
> built without throwing errors.

Okay, thanks for bringing this up! I am a person that has to use an
older kernel because suspend no longer works reliably on my laptop in
the newer release series.

Stepping back, as Tobias brings up, this DRM issue is kind of tricky
overall. We've been down this road previously and didn't find a good
solution for everyone.

Let's identify some test cases that we need to satisfy regarding this
subject. I like to use the OS declaration examples found here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/examples

Specifically, I've used the desktop and lightweight-desktop examples.
Do I understand correctly that both of them create desktops based on
Xorg and not Wayland?

Do we have a wayland-desktop test case that we can use? Does the
gdm-wayland system test help us here?

We'll need to test operation on all the kernel versions, for both X and
Wayland, on x86_64. If anyone wants to help test on aarch64, please
chime in.