Subject: [bug#74778] [PATCH v3] gnu: linux-libre: Enable simpledrm driver.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2025 16:40:33 -0500

On Wed, Jan 01, 2025 at 04:27:41PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Polite nack.

[...]

> I'll try to find the context for my reversion in my own logs, but it surely
> broke something.  There may be no way to support all users.

Thanks for chiming in Tobias. I thought these options sounded familiar
and hoped it wasn't a rehash of this old issue. I do seem to remember
that we had, basically, traded one form of breakage for another.

> Aside: why do we keep adding DEFAULT-EXTRA-LINUX-OPTIONS instead of
> modifying the configuration files themselves?  Maybe this is a separate
> discussion.

I think that modifying the config files is better because, while doing
so, the combination of options is properly set by the kernel
configuration machinery and, at the end of the process, we have a
config that can be inspected to check for a sensible outcome.

On the other hand, if we use the Scheme machinery, the final config file
is only created while building the kernel packages and we are less
likely to inspect it. Of course it's still possible to inspect
regardless of which method is used.

I'd suggest only using the Scheme interface to correct FSDG issues and
serious problems like that.

But, in a related aside where I zoom further out, we need more people
involved with the kernel packaging in order to get a really optimal
result. So I'm not too picky about details like this.