Subject: bug#74775: [PATCH] Update browse-url-kde variables

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 10:21:26 +0200

> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 00:54:20 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> KDE3 isn't used anymore even if so any release after has significantly
> >> by more users.
> >> Why support KDE3? 
> >
> > Because it is completely legitimate for people running old systems
> > with KDE3 to want to install a new Emacs.
> 
> It is a strange thought to not apply a fix for less old or current
> system just because potentially some person might install the next
> Emacs release on a almost 20 year old system. 

That's not the reason: we installed the change on master without any
delays.  The reason not to install this in Emacs 30 is because Emacs
30 will be released VSN, and we don't have any time to get feedback
from people who might be adversely affected by this change, even
though we consider such breakage unlikely.  Installing on master
allows us ample time for collecting such feedback, or deciding by lack
thereof that the change cannot break anything.

> >> Most users would probably set the `browse-url-browser-function' or the
> >> default detected happens to be the right default function.
> >
> > Sorry, I couldn't understand what you want to say here.
> 
> I'm saying that this issue doesn't come up to most users because they
> change these options before trying to use the defaults in this instance.

In which case this is not urgent, and installing on master should be
enough.

Thanks.