Subject: Re: bug#74775: [PATCH] Update browse-url-kde variables

From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 19:41:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 16:03:30 +0200
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >>    :type 'string
>> >
>> > Should this be 'file instead?
>> 
>> Does 'file for programs in path?
>
> No, but the user could enter an absolute file name here, in which case
> 'file will be more useful.

I think it's unlikely but possible sure.

>> >> -(defcustom browse-url-kde-args '("openURL")
>> >> +(defcustom browse-url-kde-args nil
>> >>    "A list of strings defining options for `browse-url-kde-program'."
>> >
>> > Should the default value depend on the value of
>> > browse-url-kde-program?  E.g., if that is customized to kfmclient, the
>> > value of this variable should probably not be '("openURL"), right?
>> 
>> For kfmclient it should be '("openURL") for others not.
>> 
>> I think it would make sense to apply this change to Emacs 30 too as it
>> isn't a functionality change but a fix to not use kfmclient which is not
>> installed anymore these days as the default file manager for KDE is
>> Dolphin and not Konqueror which includes kfmclient.
>
> I'd prefer not to change defaults in Emacs 30 at this point, but if
> you think the current defaults might be not useful, then I'll ask in
> what version(s) of current systems using KDE this change happened, and
> how probable is it that users are still using those old versions?

The change happened in KDE 4 which was released in 2008. The change
would break users of KDE3 which isn't supported anymore since 15 years
by now.
So the change would fix the behavior of users which are still on KDE 4
or 5
(Technically KDE Plasma in this context after KDE3) and those which use
the latest stable KDE Plasma 6.

> Installing on master doesn't need to delve into these issues, since if
> we are wrong, we have enough time for users to holler and for us to
> fix.  Emacs 30, OTOH, is very close to the release, so we must be very
> certain this change cannot cause any trouble.

I don't think there's a chance for that.

If you decide to install the change on Emacs 30. Do you want me to send
the patch again with the changes mentioned by you i.e. defcustom version
and type?