Subject: bug#74775: [PATCH] Update browse-url-kde variables

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 18:14:25 +0200

> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 16:03:30 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>    :type 'string
> >
> > Should this be 'file instead?
> 
> Does 'file for programs in path?

No, but the user could enter an absolute file name here, in which case
'file will be more useful.

> >> -(defcustom browse-url-kde-args '("openURL")
> >> +(defcustom browse-url-kde-args nil
> >>    "A list of strings defining options for `browse-url-kde-program'."
> >
> > Should the default value depend on the value of
> > browse-url-kde-program?  E.g., if that is customized to kfmclient, the
> > value of this variable should probably not be '("openURL"), right?
> 
> For kfmclient it should be '("openURL") for others not.
> 
> I think it would make sense to apply this change to Emacs 30 too as it
> isn't a functionality change but a fix to not use kfmclient which is not
> installed anymore these days as the default file manager for KDE is
> Dolphin and not Konqueror which includes kfmclient.

I'd prefer not to change defaults in Emacs 30 at this point, but if
you think the current defaults might be not useful, then I'll ask in
what version(s) of current systems using KDE this change happened, and
how probable is it that users are still using those old versions?

Installing on master doesn't need to delve into these issues, since if
we are wrong, we have enough time for users to holler and for us to
fix.  Emacs 30, OTOH, is very close to the release, so we must be very
certain this change cannot cause any trouble.