Subject: bug#74759: 30.0.92; Gnus configuration warning

From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2024 22:09:07 -0500

Hello maintainers,

I tried executing the sample gnus configuration from [[info:gnus#Search
Engines][gnus#Search Engines]] in emacs with ~--no-init~ option, and I'm getting
a warning.  This code snippets works as expected, though.

Steps to reproduce:

emacs -Q
M-x ielm

executed this code

       (setopt gnus-select-method
       '(nnmaildir "My Mail"
               (directory "/home/user/.mail")
               (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-notmuch
                                   (config-file
       "/home/user/.mail/.notmuch_config"))))

I get this warning

  ■  Warning (emacs): Value ‘(nnmaildir "My Mail" (directory "/home/user/.mail") (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-notmuch (config-file "/home/user/.mail/.notmuch_config")))’ does not match type gnus-select-method

I’m wondering if this is a bug, or if Im doing something wrong.

Thank you for your time.

* * *

In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41, cairo
version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/3jhfhxdf6v5ms10x5zmnl166dh3yhbr1-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/3jhfhxdf6v5ms10x5zmnl166dh3yhbr1-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash --prefix=/gnu/store/dgpfiflaxb8j33jcbqk29wadcykajl51-emacs-next-30.0.92-0.881d593 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

--
Regards,
Anush V