Subject: Re: [bug#74757] [PATCH 0/3] Linux-libre updates (2024-12-09)

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2024 21:50:34 -0500

On Mon, Dec 09, 2024 at 09:38:27PM +0000, Dariqq wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Here are the updates for linux-libre from 2024-12-05 and 2024-12-09.

Thank you! I pushed these patches to the 'kernel-updates' branch to
build them and make it easy to test them.

https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/1892282
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/kernel-updates

> The 6.11 and the 4.19 series are now marked as EOL on kernel.org and should be removed soon.

Noted! The end of the 4s... crazy.

> Haven't tried to get 6.12 packaged yet. Are there instructions for updating the config files?

Basically, check out the source code of the kernel you want to build.
Find the most recent Guix config file that corresponds to the system
type and kernel release series that you want to build for. Copy it into
the root of the kernel source tree as '.config'. Make the kernel
dependencies available with `guix shell -D linux-libre` and then run
`make ARCH=$systemtype oldconfig`.

We build kernels for systems of these types:
arm <- 32-bit ARM, called "armhf" in Guix
arm64 <- called "aarch64" in Guix
i386 <- 32-bit Intel compatible, called "i686" in Guix
riscv
amd64 <-64-bit Intel compatible, called "x86_64" in Guix

And the config files are located in the Guix source tree under
'gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre'.

In general, we aim to make the kernels support whatever hardware you
throw at them. Distro kernels are big! But there's some judgement and
personal choice involved too. Like, it's unlikely that anyone will use
32-bit ARM Guix on a Rockchip SBC and then use it to run some industrial
device in a factory. And if they do, they can build their own kernel or
ask us to enable the driver.

If you've never configured the build of the kernel, it asks you a series
of questions about features and drivers to support. I use my judgment,
read online documentation about the options, and ask on #guix IRC or
similar places for advice. Guix kernels are supposed to be
fully-featured, not minimal.

I like this site for information about the options:

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/HSA_AMD.html

I had thought about tackling 6.12 next weekend. But I'm happy for you to
try it, and I can help you too if you like. Please let me know what you
think about trying this.