Subject: bug#7475: I wish query-replace-regexp would use perl regexps

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 21:32:23 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> I wish query-replace-regexp would use perl regexps.
> It is already hard enough to get the region and regexp right, and then
> one has to think 'how do I write that in old fashioned regexp language."
> Why can't it be rigged up to just send it to the current perl on the machine.
> As it is I am already just saying forget it and 'outsourcing' more
> complicated jobs to batch scripts.

Sending every regular expression to an external executable would add a
new dependency and likely affect performance badly.

To do this reasonably would presumably require significant work on the
regular expression engine, and a good plan for making the change.  Many
users are very used to the current regular expressions Emacs use.

Maybe a better option is to develop something like this as an external
package?

I would suggest to close this as wontfix.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas