Subject: bug#74740: 31.0.50; tty menus not displaying separators

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2024 19:46:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2024 18:34:33 +0100
>> 
>> To see this, emacs -nw -q and open a menu from the menubar. Simple
>> separators there are displayed as "--".
>
> What did you expect instead?  I think this always worked like that on
> TTY frames.
>
>> More generally, all separator types are displayed as they appear in the
>> menu item definition, '--double-line' as "--double-line" and so on.

I expected a horizontal line for "--".

> What do you mean by that? where do we have such separators, and how do
> you display the menus which show them?  I don't think I see them in
> the default menu bar.

Concerning the separator types, Elisp Info says

  23.18.1.3 Menu Separators
  .........................

  A menu separator is a kind of menu item that doesn't display any
  text--instead, it divides the menu into subparts with a horizontal line.
  A separator looks like this in the menu keymap:

       (menu-item SEPARATOR-TYPE)

  where SEPARATOR-TYPE is a string starting with two or more dashes.

followed by a list of separator types, among them the --double-line I
mentioned.

One can get these from 3rd-party packages. Minion is an example, where
--double-line appears in a popup menu on the mode line.