Subject: Re: bug#74736: [PATCH v2 0/1] Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2024 12:15:43 +0100

Hi,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Since (1) day-to-day contributions do not follow the RFC process and (2)
>> teams and consensus-based decision making are already defined (and went
>> through peer review), I think it makes more sense to build on these two
>> sections we already have.
>
> I still think the RFC process must contain its own “Decision Making”
> process and must not refer to external parts that could be changed
> without going via this RFC process.
>
> Somehow, from my point of view, it makes more sense to encode “Decision
> Making” or “Commit Access” or “Teams” via future RFCs than via sections
> in the manual.  And we need to bootstrap the “Decision Making”, no?

I agree that sections in the manual are suboptimal.  That is why I
proposed moving contributing.texi to a document of its own, which would
sit next to the RFC process document.  I don’t consider it a
prerequisite though.

> For sure, I agree that we do not build from nothing.  To me, this very
> first RFC makes explicit the structure we already have.  Maybe I
> misunderstand something, IMHO, we should avoid the temptation to say:
> Hey we already have a way to collaborate thus let implicitly rely on.
>
> Hum? 🤔 Somehow, I would find the RFC process incomplete without an
> explicit self-contained “Decision Making” section.

What I’d like to stress is that decision making also happens outside the
RFC process; not everything will go through the RFC process.  So we’ll
need to have that manual section for day-to-day contributions anyway.

But yeah, maybe we can have one specific to the RFC document, too.

Ludo’.