Subject: Re: bug#74736: [PATCH v2 0/1] Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 18:58:14 +0100

Hi Ludo,

I agree (more than less) with all the other comments except this
one. :-)

>>>> +** Decision making: consensus
>>>
>>> … and drop this.
>>
>> I think it makes more sense to have the Decision Making as RFC and then
>> the manual refers to it, and not the converse. ;-)
>>
>> Therefore, I would keep the section here.  And once we are done, letting
>> the manual as-is, I would link to RFC.
>>
>> What defines the Decision Making *is* RFC and not the manual. ;-)
>
> Earlier, I wrote:
>
>> I would add “General day-to-day contributions follow the regular
>> [decision-making process] and [team organization].”, with references to
>> the relevant sections of the manual.
>
> Since (1) day-to-day contributions do not follow the RFC process and (2)
> teams and consensus-based decision making are already defined (and went
> through peer review), I think it makes more sense to build on these two
> sections we already have.

I still think the RFC process must contain its own “Decision Making”
process and must not refer to external parts that could be changed
without going via this RFC process.

Somehow, from my point of view, it makes more sense to encode “Decision
Making” or “Commit Access” or “Teams” via future RFCs than via sections
in the manual.  And we need to bootstrap the “Decision Making”, no?

For sure, I agree that we do not build from nothing.  To me, this very
first RFC makes explicit the structure we already have.  Maybe I
misunderstand something, IMHO, we should avoid the temptation to say:
Hey we already have a way to collaborate thus let implicitly rely on.

Hum? 🤔 Somehow, I would find the RFC process incomplete without an
explicit self-contained “Decision Making” section.

What do you think?  What do people think?

Cheers,
simon