Subject: [bug#74736] [PATCH v2 0/1] Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 15:42:24 +0100

Hi Noé,

Thanks for this new version.

Noé Lopez <[email-masked]> skribis:

> +### Submission (up to 7 days)
> +
> +The author submits their RFC proposal as a regular patch and look for
> +co-supporter(s). See “Co-supporter” section.
> +
> +Once the RFC is co-supported, it marks the start of a discussion period.

[...]

> +### Last call (up to 14 days)
> +
> +The author publishes a final version of the RFC and a last grace period
> +of 14 days is granted. People are asked to agree or disagree by
> +commenting:
> +
> +-   +1 / LGTM: I support
> +-   =0 / LGTM: I will live with it
> +-   -1: I disagree with this proposal
> +
> +At least half of people with commit access must express their voice with
> +the keys above during this last call. We need to be sure that the RFC
> +had been read by people committed to take care of the project, since it
> +proposes an important change.
> +
> +When a positive consensus is reached, the RFC becomes effective. If not,
> +the proposal is archived and the status quo continues.

It seems unchanged compared to v3.  WDYT of my comments, suggestions,
and proposed wording:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/74736#9

?

I think we should now make sure we reach consensus on the timeline, and
in particular:

  1. on the voting process;

  2. on the submission -> withdrawn transition, in case nobody supports
     the RFC.

Once we have that, we can fine-tune the language and hopefully be done
within a couple of weeks.

I like the Dot graph you submitted!  Here’s an updated version, with a
new submission -> withdrawn arrow (as proposed in the comment above) and
with hopefully clearer names (in particular “Voting Period” rather than
“Last call”):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
digraph "RFC Timeline" {
    submission[label=<Submission Period<br />7 days>]
    comments[label=<Discussion Period<br />30–60 days>]
    last_call[label=<Voting Period<br />14 days>]
    withdrawn[label=Withdrawn, shape=rectangle]
    final[label=Final, shape=rectangle]
    
    submission -> comments
    submission -> withdrawn
    comments -> last_call
    last_call -> withdrawn
    last_call -> final
    
    withdrawn -> submission [label="New version"]
    
    comments -> withdrawn
}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thoughts?

Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

Ludo’.