Subject: [bug#74736] I accept

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 12:47:26 +0100

Hi Hartmut,

On Sun, 26 Jan 2025 at 18:21, Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I accept

Quoting the GCD:

    (1) “I support”, meaning that one supports the proposal;
    
    (2) “I accept”, meaning that one consents to the implementation of
        the proposal;
      
    (3) “I disapprove”, meaning that one opposes the implementation of
         the proposal.  A team member sending this reply should have
         made constructive comments during the discussion period.

And the idea behind reads, either:

  • I am in favour of this proposal without concern => (1)

 or

  • I have some concerns:

    ‣ I can live with them => (2)

   or

    ‣ I cannot live with them => (3)
 
About (2) “I accept”, it appears to me better if a summary of these
concerns can be provided for inclusion in the final document.

About (3) “I disagree”, it appears to me important to point which
comments had been done during the “Discussion Period“ and also provides
a summary of these concerns for inclusion in the final document.

> For me the meaning of the replies are hard to understand and
> distinguish. Esp. the difference between "support" and "consent" as

When I am in accord or when I agree in opinion, it does not imply I
speak in favour of it.  Somehow, if I say “I consent that my neighbor is
noisy this week-end”, then it does not mean “I’m favour of this noise”.

> well as why "I accept" and "I disagree" refer to "the implementation
> of the proposal", but "I support" does not.

Well, indeed.  I don’t know if the distinction matters here.  Somehow,
the idea is: the concerns need to be concrete, hence about the
implementation.  While, if one supports, then it’s about the whole
proposal, else one would have concerns, i.e., only accept.

Again, I don’t know if the distinction matters.

> [This said, for me it's not clear whether my deliberation ought to be
> "support" or "consent".]

I hope the explanations above makes the frame clearer.

> Please note that I'm not a member of any team, thus my deliberation
> not really counts. Anyhow I wanted to state it since I took part in
> the discussion.

IMHO, yes your opinion counts!  Because we are bootstrapping the process
and it appears to me sane that team members and committers express their
views. :-)

Cheers,
simon