Subject: [bug#74736] [PATCH v2 0/1] Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 11:15:30 +0100

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I sent v9 (Message-ID: [email-masked]) but that has not
> reached the list, hum?!  And Hartmut sent a diff as v9, hence v10.  :-)

Thanks for sending v10, late at night!

It’s of course not the only metric but there’s a bit of possibly
worrying inflation between v8 and v10:

 001-gcd-process-v10.md |  116 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 1 file changed, 68 insertions(+), 48 deletions(-)

> +  - A *contributor* is a person contributing to Guix either with code,
> +    translation, reviewing, etc. and more broadly any person feeling part
> +    of the Guix community.

I would drop the last part, which makes it to fuzzy IMO:

  - A *contributor* is a person who has been participating in Guix
    activities, for instance by writing or reviewing code, by supporting
    users on fora, or by contributing to translations.

> +## Channels of Communication

Rather “Communication Channels”.

> + - The *draft* is sent to [email-masked]`.

s/sent/sent by email/

> +If after 60 days, a final version is not yet published, then a grace period
> +of 14 days is granted.  Finally the GCD is considered as *stale* and the last
> +update is picked for the final version.

This is like saying “between 30 and 74 days” in practice.

I would rather stick to the 60-day hard limit and clarify what happens
if author(s) fail to act during that time (starting with the paragraph
just above):

  When deemed appropriate, between 30 days and 60 days after the start
  of the discussion period, the author(s) may publish a final version
  and announce the start of the *deliberation period*.  If the authors
  fail to do so, the deliberation period automatically starts 60 days
  after the start of the discussion period based on the latest version
  provided by the author(s).

> -## Merging Final GCDs
> +## Merging GCD

“Merging GCDs”

> -Whether it is accepted or withdrawn, a committer merges the final GCD
> -following these steps:
> +Whether it is accepted or withdrawn, a person who has commit permission

“a person with commit rights”

I think it’s a good document at this point!

Ludo’.