Subject: Re: [bug#74736] Re v8 of Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 01:20:38 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.  I included with v10.  WDYT?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2025 at 20:50, Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The current text does not state this. Rather it implies, the sequence 
> number is to be picked when creating the draft ("How the Process Works", 
> number 2). So if two persons draft a GCD at nearly the same time, how to 
> prevent both are picking the same number? (See proposal below.)

Well, from my point of view, considering the number of changes requiring
GCD that we did over the past years, I think the situation will not
happen. :-)

Still, how to resolve in practise when that would happen?  I think the
simplest is to consider the sequence order for the final document (the
only that really matters after all) as the first that had been in
*submitted* state using the timestamps of the sponsors.

A good ol’ First In, First Numbered. ;-)

> It also came to my mind, that the text does not explain who is pushing 
> the patch to the GCD repo and when (at which point in the process). 
> Proposed text:
>
>     At the end of section "Submission Period":

It appears to me clearer to separate the concerns.  What do you think
about “Merging GCD”?

> In <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/74736#58> Ludo wrote: "It has to 
> be at most 60 days, I think that’s quite clear."
>
> Either way, this need to be stated more explicit.

I added the *stale* state and how to deal with it.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon