Subject: [bug#74736] [PATCH v8] Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 10:00:39 +0100

Hi,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Could you explain why “Guix Common Document” fails to convey what this
> is about?

“Document” is very broad, and “common” is hard for me to understand in
this context: common to whom? to what? can there more than one “common
document”?  The phrase “common document” doesn’t convey that this is
about proposing changes and deciding on them.

“Request for comment” shows upfront that it’s about soliciting opinions.

“Consensus document” suggests that it’s about documenting the outcome of
a decision making process.

>> +  - A *sponsor* is a contributor who, during the submission period (see
>> +    below), informs the author(s) that they would like to support the
>> +    RFC by participating in discussions, providing constructive comments
>> +    to help the author(s), soliciting opinions, and acting as
>> +    timekeepers.
>> +
>> +    Sponsors should be contributors who consider being sufficiently
>> +    familiar with the project’s practices; hence it is recommended, but
>> +    not mandatory, to be a team member.
>
> I would add:
>
>         As sponsor, please make sure that all have the time and space for
>         expressing their comments.  The GCD is about significant changes, thus
>         more opinions is better than less.

I think the second sentence is redundant with what is written elsewhere:
that it applies to significant changes, and that it’s about soliciting
opinions (and I think it’s important to keep each section to-the-point.)

I’m fine with the first one though.

(“As a sponsor”, with the article “a”.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.