Subject: Re: Guix Common Document process (v7) (was: Request-For-Comment, RFC)

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 15:28:54 -0800

On 2025-01-15, Simon Tournier wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2025 at 16:34, Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Concerning consensus, I am mildly worried about deadlocks (including 
>> when trying to modify this RFC/GCD). What happens if some person insists
>> on disapproving?
>
> Today, how does it happen?
>
> Well, I think that better to root the process on what we did over the
> past 12 years. :-) And for now, we always managed the situation, I
> guess. ;-)
>
> Moreover, it’s bounded by an active participation during the “Discussion
> Period”.  Therefore, if one person cannot live with the final state, it
> means we failed to find a solution based on what we agree.  Somehow, the
> whole idea with consensus is to be pro-active in resolving locks before
> they happen, well that’s my understanding. :-)

I think it is important to not think of the peson as blocking consensus
but to focus on the unresolved issue as blocking consensus. This leads
to identifying what remains to be fixed, rather than interpersonal
conflicts and finger pointing and hurt feelings.

It is a subtle difference, and it is reflected in the functional aspects
of last proposal I reviewed, as they must be involved in the discussion
in order to disapprove of a decision. Getting the framing of focusing on
the issues raised rather than the people raising the issues into our
minds might take more work. :)

> Yes, I agree what happens with examples as: 3/4 support the proposal and
> 1/4 disagree?

Yes, I worry then you are starting to approach voting, where it is more
important to rally your supporters than discuss with and understand
those who think most differently.

With consensus process, it is often a good strategy to get the feedback
and build understanding with the people most likely to dissent, by
honestly listening to their perspective, rather than starting off with a
majority opinion of what "everybody" already agrees with, and then
pressuring everyone else to go along with it.

live well,
  vagrant