Subject: Re: Guix Common Document process (v7)

From: indieterminacy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 21:50:21 +0000

Hello Andreas,

On 2025-01-15 15:34, Andreas Enge wrote:
> ...
> 
> Concerning consensus, I am mildly worried about deadlocks (including
> when trying to modify this RFC/GCD). What happens if some person 
> insists
> on disapproving? (I am reminded of the European Union where one member
> state can effectively hold the others hostage over certain issues.)
> The RFC/GCD says: "A team member sending this reply should have made
> constructive comments during the discussion period." What if they have
> not? How about adding a quorum of "disapprove" votes to have effect?
> (Actually in Europe *two* member states are needed for a veto in the
> Council.)
> 

I wonder whether the 'political ability' of somebody being able to use 
deadlock leavers
should be limited to those who are active/recent members.

Does it seem sensible to have this in place already?

> Notice also that the suggestion bootstraps the team members into a
> decision taking body - so far we have added people more or less 
> randomly
> to teams. For instance, team members need not have commit rights and
> thus be vetted by three fellow committers. So should we replace "team
> members" by "committers"? Or keep the proposal as is and immediately
> work on a new GCD to somehow safeguard the addition of people to a 
> team?
> 

Btw, thanks Andreas for your work as Treasurer!

See you in Brussels soon,

Jonathan