Subject: Re: [bug#74736] [PATCH v2 0/1] Add Request-For-Comment process.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 14:02:25 +0100

Hi Noé,

On Fri, 10 Jan 2025 at 11:39, Noé Lopez via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Can you explain the reasoning for that name?  I don’t think I understand
> what it means.

Personally, I find ’Guix Common Document’ more self-explanatory than
Request-for-Comments.  Because once the proposal is accepted or
withdrawn there is no more request nor comment. ;-)

Well, I know RFC is the usual name for this kind of thing (I also used
RFC when discussing it).  Nonetheless, I find nicer to not follow such
“convention”, as for example Python Enhancement Proposals (PEP)
does. :-) And the term RFC is already too much overloaded in Guix
mailing list, IMHO.

In addition, I like ’Guix Common Document’ because it expresses what it
is: our shared (common) direction.  Moreover it echoes with Commons and
somehow the process tries to capture that: what we collectively want to
preserve.  Last, pun with mathematical notion of greatest common divisor
(gcd) [1].

Does it make sense?

Cheers,
simon

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_common_divisor