Subject: bug#74699: need valid explanation / weird 'grep -q' behaviour

From: Frank Reppin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2024 00:43:37 +0100

Dear all,

sorry for the (maybe) noise - but I really need some clues as to
why some quite common grep usecase seems to randomly fail.

I've already looked through google and some valuable results pointed
out some discussions on stackoverflow ... where this was somewhat 
discussed ... but (IMHO) no really valid explanation was outlined.
Some claim that this is due to 'set -o pipefail' beeing used in the 
script... but this does not really explain why it only _sometimes_ happens.

(what makes me think that this might be some kind of weird issue which 
needs to be adressed somehow... maybe)

Long story - made short... I've linked a simple and short bash script 
(created and tested and reproducible at least here) with all the 
required information inside) - that can reproduce the issue:

https://download.undermydesk.org/bash-grep-q-special-issue.sh

(all explanations inside)

thankyou all!
cheers,
FR

-- 
43rd Law of Computing:
         Anything that can go wr
fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped