Subject: Re: bug#7469: 24.0.50; report-emacs-bug is broken again (on Windows)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 23:22:26 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:04:17 -0800
> 
> > The problem seems elusive, it doesn't happen when I Edebug.  If you
> > could find out or recall when did it last work for you in Emacs 24,
> > that would allow to narrow down the search for the culprit.
> 
> It works fine in:
> 
> In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2010-11-09 on 3249CTO

Thanks.  I found the culprit, it's this change:

  2010-11-10  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <[email-masked]>

	  * net/browse-url.el (browse-url-browser-function): Change the
	  default to use `browse-url-mail' on mailto: URLs.

Lars, what was the rationale for that change?  It breaks
report-emacs-bug, which uses the mailto: URLs.  `browse-url-mail'
simply uses Emacs to compose a mail message, which is of course
useless when browse-url is called from mailclient.el because Emacs
failed to find any better way of sending mail, and falls back to
mailto:.