Subject: [bug#74676] [core-packages-team 5/5] DRAFT gnu: gcc: Update gcc, gcc-toolchain to 14.

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2024 20:45:46 +0100

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:

Hi,

> So, I've just built "hello" for x86_64-linux on "core-packages-team"
> (yay!) mostly re-using gcc-14 patches/workarounds that I created for the
> Hurd.

[..]

I've all but reconfigured--guix system reconfigure as non-root--my
system, without childhurd, using what is now core-packages-team-old.
That really wasn't so bad, many packages just build with gcc-14.

I have tried to keep the scope of changes as small as possible but
attempted to "fix" packages build failures also by upgrading the
package.  For commencement and base packages I kept the scope narrow:
x86_64-linux, because it has proven to be very hard to predict what's
needed on other architectures.  For other packages, such as "zip", I
just added the mostly harmless -Wno-implicit-function-declaration flag
unguarded.

The *-old branch has a couple of hacks that neutralize impact to
commencement packages, marked "REMOVEME", to avoid world rebuilds as
sometimes some base package builds in commencement, but fails to build
lateron.

The new, cleaned-up, and rebased core-packages-team branch is as such
untested, but "should work".  WDYT?  Can we point the build-farm to this
branch to help out?

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com