Subject: bug#74675: closed (Re: [PATCH 0/1] Possibly build hypre without doxygen and LaTeX doc)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 20:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74675: [PATCH 0/1] Possibly build hypre without doxygen and LaTeX doc

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74675: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74675
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] Possibly build hypre without doxygen and LaTeX doc
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: Luca Cirrottola <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]>, Eric Bavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 21:52:53 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi again,

Am Wed, Mar 26, 2025 at 07:18:46PM +0100 schrieb Luca Cirrottola:
> The problem arose because some of my software ecosystem lives in a time-machine where some variants and package-input-rewriting goes on, so substitutes are not always available and a lot of recompilation goes on sometimes. I understand this is not the mainstream usage and that we should try to rely more on substitutes, instead of skipping some compilation. My bad.
> Feel free to close this issue, since we are also discussing how to fix the package (the right way) in the other issue (74672).

okay, so I am closing this. As said in the other issue, I have not
really understood the problem, so if you could give more detailed
explanations there, we will get closer to a solution.

Andreas

Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Possibly build hypre without doxygen and LaTeX doc
From: Luca Cirrottola <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Luca Cirrottola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2024 21:16:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,
The hypre package builds its "doc" output by default, bringing texlive
into the dependency graph of packages using hypre, and possibly breaking
their compilation due to errors in building the hypre documentation (see
bug 74672). I would like to also have the possibility to build hypre
without doxygen and latex documentation.

This patch is an attempt to solve my problem by splitting the package
into two variants, one without documentation ("hypre-sans-doc") and one
with ("hypre"). Also, a "hypre-openmpi-sans-doc" is added besides
"hypre-openmpi".

Thus, two new packages are introduced ("hypre-sans-doc" and
"hypre-openmpi-sans-doc") without modifying the expected behaviour of
the original "hypre" and "hypre-openmpi" packages.

I would have loved to simply generate the "hypre-openmpi-sans-doc"
package by modifying the "inherit" field of "hypre-openmpi", but I have
not been able to do it with package transformation options. I would be
grateful for any suggestion to reduce code redundancy in my patch, as
well as for any better solution that could achieve the same objective
(the possibility to build hypre without doc).

Luca Cirrottola (1):
  Add a hypre-sans-doc package, make hypre inherit from it, and add a
    variant hypre-openmpi-sans-doc.

 gnu/packages/maths.scm | 131 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 1 file changed, 85 insertions(+), 46 deletions(-)

-- 
2.34.1