Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] Possibly build hypre without doxygen and LaTeX doc

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 10:18:22 +0100

Hello Luca,

Am Tue, Dec 03, 2024 at 09:16:18PM +0100 schrieb Luca Cirrottola:
> The hypre package builds its "doc" output by default, bringing texlive
> into the dependency graph of packages using hypre, and possibly breaking
> their compilation due to errors in building the hypre documentation (see
> bug 74672). I would like to also have the possibility to build hypre
> without doxygen and latex documentation.
> 
> This patch is an attempt to solve my problem by splitting the package
> into two variants, one without documentation ("hypre-sans-doc") and one
> with ("hypre"). Also, a "hypre-openmpi-sans-doc" is added besides
> "hypre-openmpi".

I am sceptical of adding too many variants of packages, especially with
and without documentation; it is not something we tend to do in Guix.
If the size of the package is a problem, we could move the documentation
to a separate output. Actually, I realise this is already the case!

And I do not see the problem with texlive dependencies, as these are
only native-inputs. So people using binary substitutes will not download
or even see these dependencies.

If documentation building is broken, we should fix it; as said in the
other issue you cite, I cannot reproduce the problem, however.

Andreas