Subject: bug#74674: (No Subject)

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2024 18:04:08 -0800

On 12/4/2024 12:47 PM, the_wurfkreuz via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the 
Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> The problem got even more complicated. Now i'm trying to just delete any 
> file, and i can't do that whether i have trashing enabled or not:
> 
> ~/.emacs.d $ (require 'em-tramp)
> em-tramp
> ~/.emacs.d [1] $ eshell/sudo touch /usr/local/bin/test-file
> ~/.emacs.d $ eshell/sudo rm /usr/local/bin/test-file
> Removing old name: Permission denied, /usr/local/bin/test-file

This is the correct behavior; you shouldn't be able to delete the file 
using this method. In short, "/usr/local/bin/test-file" refers to a 
*local* file name, so it's not going through Tramp's "sudo" method, and 
thus it's correct to report that you don't have permission.

Some more detail: Eshell built-in commands like "rm" (which the built-in 
"eshell/sudo" will call) treat absolute file names as ordinary, local 
files, just like the rest of Emacs would. Specifically, it won't 
automatically prepend the "/sudo::" method to it. Doing that is 
bug#70792, which I have a patch for but haven't finished yet.