Subject: Re: bug#74673: 30.0.92; face warning on legal elisp syntax

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2024 14:23:08 +0200

> From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2024 11:48:19 -0900
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Move the mouse pointer there and wait for a split-second: you will see
> > the answer in a tooltip.
> >
> 
> Is there a way to view tooltips without making any use of the mouse? I see that I can get tooltips displayed in the echo area, but apparently I still must utilize the mouse to see the tooltip in the first place.

Some nice features of the UI need the mouse, yes, and there's no
(easy) way around that.  That said, you can go to the "" part and type
"M-x describe-text-properties", which will pop a buffer that tells you
there's a help-echo property at that spot, and show a button which you
could press to have the text shown in the echo-area.

If you really need to be able to show tool tips without the mouse, you
can write a simple function to show its text in the echo-area.
However, most tooltips are shown on UI parts where you cannot go, so
such a command will be of somewhat limited use.

> >> (2) should we consider using a distinct face for style warnings?
> >
> > What's wrong with font-lock-warning-face?
> >
> 
> In my mind, a style warning is significantly different from a warning about somethat that might cause my code to malfunction when run or compiled. If there was a face specific to style warnings, I would make it a distinct and less dramatic face appearance.

It's the same case: we show this in the warning face because
oftentimes this is a mistaken code, because it's easy to misinterpret.

> I see this warning is hard coded in lisp-mode.el. There does not appear to be an option to turn this warning on or off, though I suppose I could replace lisp--match-hidden-arg with something that always returns not-matching.

This is Emacs, so you can do almost everything with it.  But my
recommendation is to get used to this warning face: it saved me from
trouble several times, and I'm sure others have similar experiences to
report.