Subject: Re: [bug#74667] [PATCH] doc: Add note on nsncd as a replacement for nscd.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 23:08:21 +0100

Hi Lars,

Lars Bilke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * doc/guix.texi Add note on nsncd in Name Service Switch section.
>
> Change-Id: Ib804ab2e7d83d13f8f81d875f957eae2304eb232

[...]

> +Please note that
> +@uref{https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/glibc/-/commit/25032a8abb2760257c3dceb78e649a0a2c4e3ab2, glibc @geq{} 2.38-4}
> +does not provide @command{nscd} anymore. @command{nsncd} can be used as

To be precise, it’s only the ‘glibc’ package of Arch that doesn’t
provide ‘nscd’; upstream 2.39 (which we use) provides it.

So I would suggest: “Note that @command{nscd} is no longer provided on
some GNU/Linux distros, such as Arch Linux (as of Dec. 2024).”

Am I right?

Nitpick: please leave two spaces after end-of-sentence periods (this is
conventional).

> +a drop-in-replacement. See @uref{https://github.com/twosigma/nsncd, nsncd on GitHub}
> +and @uref{https://flokli.de/posts/2022-11-18-nsncd/, this blog post} for
> +more information.

s/nsncd on GitHub/the nsncd repository/

Could you send an updated patch?

Thanks,
Ludo’.