Subject: Re: bug#74663: Emacs crashes with Segfault while doing basic code editing

From: Zan Owsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 09:04:01 -0700

Hi Eli,

Yes I did! It was the first time I built Emacs instead of using a 
package manager. I have tried 27, 28, and 29 before, but this version 
really blew me away. I couldn't believe the performance improvement I 
saw right away, and that's before I rebuilt it with native compilation. 
I have no idea how you sped it up like that, but it really feels nice. 
I've been enjoying 30 so much that it sparked another deep dive into my 
config and writing elisp for my own features this past week. So that's 
been fun.

I looked you up after receiving this email as I was wondering who would 
care to follow up with me. Saw that you're the co-maintainer and won the 
2023 FSF award (a belated congrats!) and figured you're just that kind 
of guy who wants to help. Thanks for all your work - it's clear, even to 
me, that Emacs 30 is a special release. Thanks for getting me to try it 
and good luck with the continuing work.

P.S. You might hear more from me in the future. I think I'd like to get 
involved with contributing to Emacs. I'm not elisp expert yet, but I'm 
getting better. :)

Zan

On 12/14/24 2:44 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Zan Owsley <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2024 07:12:13 -0700
>>
>> You'd think I would at least mention the version right? 🙂 Yeah it's the arch repo I'm using. Thanks - I'll check
>> out v30!
> Did you succeed in checking out Emacs 30?