Subject: bug#7466: 24.0.50; (emacs) `Menu Mouse Clicks' conflicts with code obsolescence

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:51:11 -0800

The footnote on this manual page tells you how to put the mouse-3 menu
on mouse-3 instead of on C-mouse-3 (the default).  It tells you to bind
`mouse-popup-menubar-stuff'.

But in mouse.el, that function (as well as the other mouse-3 menu
functions) has been declared obsolete since 23.1.
 
There is no comment in the code indicating what now replaces these
functions - what to use instead.  And I find nothing in NEWS or NEWS.23
(or NEWS.22) about "mouse-3" or "popup".  Grepping the Lisp sources
didn't help either.

How are users supposed to know how to code this, now that these
functions are obsolete?  What is the right way to do it now?  Where in
the Lisp code is C-mouse-3 doted with menus (e.g. the major-mode
menubar menu)?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-11-16 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'