Subject: bug#74637: [PATCH] Make view-read-only behave like view-file

From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2024 20:08:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2024 22:40:16 +0200
>> From:  Björn Bidar via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Make view-mode behave like when called in view-file when entered because
>> `view-read-only' is true on a file which is not writable.
>> The change makes the view-read-only behave better on files which are
>> not writable. 
>> Now it makes Emacs behave more like less on these files.
>
> That's an incompatible behavior change.  Is that justified?  How can
> we be sure that everyone agrees with your interpretation of this mode?

All other view-file like modes behave like this, you view the file and
leave the file with q.

But even going with that point: You open a file file which isn't
writable. Once you hit q the window is quit and the buffer is buried.
What do you do now next time you visit that file?
The buffer was buried, view-mode isn't active anymore, you would have
to activate view-mode again to go where you left off.

If you would want to edit the file the you visited this way you would
have not pressed q but e to exit view mode and the proceeded to exit
read-only-mode and edit the file.