Subject: Re: bug#74604: [PATCH v1] package.el: Add diff display and confirmation for package upgrades (Bug#74604)

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2025 22:13:57 +0000

Nobuyuki Kamimoto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you for reviewing my patch.
> I will go through your comments and apply the suggested changes.
>
>> (Not to start a unrelated discussion, but parts of your message sound
>> like they might have been written by generative AI.  I don't mind that,
>> but it might be an issue if you used GenAI to prepare the patch as well,
>> as TTBOMK is not yet a resolved matter for the GNU project.  Related to
>> that, have you signed the FSF copyright assignment?)
>
> I am aware of the complexities surrounding FSF copyright from what I
> have seen online,
> so I write the actual code by hand. (However, I do ask for advice on
> refactoring methods and best practices.)
> Since English is not my native language, I write commit messages and
> emails in my native language, then translate them with AI and
> double-check them using Google Translate. As a result, some nuances or
> expressions may not always be appropriate.
> Would such a development workflow be acceptable?

I cannot claim that nobody will complain, but I have no issue with you
using generative AI as a spell/grammar checker.  The only thing were we
have to watch out is with generated code.

But feel free to ask question here (or if you don't want it to end up on
the mailing list I'd gladly give you my input as well in personal
correspondence) if you want to learn more about best practice.  As you
might have seen in my review of your last patch, you ended up writing a
lot more code than is actually necessary, and I feel that humans are
still a bit better at recognising patterns like these in niche languages
like Elisp :)

> In addition, I have already received the copyright assignment form for
> the FSF and plan to complete and submit it.

OK, so we will have to wait on that anyway.  But we can continue the
discussion here so that the one doesn't block the other, and vice versa.