Subject: Re: bug#74604: 30.0.92; FR: M-x package-upgrade - offer an option to show a diff on upgrade

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 15:17:13 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> Such an option could help performing review casually as part of
>>>> the upgrade process and may improve the security of the package
>>>> archives.  More eyes would look at new package versions.  This would make
>>>> it harder to inject malicious code either via the source repository or
>>>> via attacks on the package archives.
>
> In addition to improving security it would encourage users to become
> familiar with the code, which is very much the driving force behind
> a lot of Emacs's design.

Yes, this is the point of the proposal.

>> Showing a source-code diff may be a bit technical for some users,
>> though. I wonder if there could be either a link to a changelog, or
>> a way to encourage a changelog convention so one could be displayed
>> for users prior to a decision to update a package.
>
> The prompt could offer a choice of "just upgrade / show news /
> show diff".

Good idea. I think I would also like to have a customization option
`package-upgrade-diff' where the behavior can be customized, since I
always want to see the diff even for my own packages to check if recent
changes have arrived.

If `package-upgrade-diff' is nil, the confirmation prompt could offer a
key to display the diff. A key could also be reserved to show the change
log in case it is present, but as I mentioned before in this bug report,
displaying the change log is not a security feature and the code as
"driving force" is hidden.

Daniel