Subject: Re: [bug#74582] [PATCH python-team 1/4] build/pyproject: Really merge directories in install phase.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 16:09:12 +0900

Hi,

Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> Yes, that could be nicer.  I'd like to keep it for a distinct commti
>> though, to keep this small and focus.
>
> sure, fine.
>
>> Perhaps, though we'd want to verify that it indeed now works, and not
>> having seen that error once, I'm not too sure how to test it.  Do you
>> know of a package that could make use of this?
>
> Hm, I checked and it does not seem to be possible to build more than
> one wheel with a single pyproject.toml[1]. Let’s keep the code as is then.

Yes.  I'd expect perhaps some kind of mono-repo holding multiple Python
packages could perhaps end up in such a situation where it'd have
mulitple .whl installed to the same prefix.

The odd case I had encountered where merging directories was failing was
an attempt to build a scikit package (I think it was python-libcst) that
used CMake for the extensions, installed that already, then did a
regular PEP 517 build and attempted to install more things to its
prefix, which already had things placed there by scikit/cmake, IIUC.

I ended up packaging libcst via cargo instead of scikit, since it's
authored in Rust.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim