Subject: [bug#74542] [PATCH v2 00/16] Improved tooling for package updates

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2024 17:34:12 +0100

Suhail Singh <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>   • ‘package-with-upstream-version’ can preserve patches.  This turns
>>     out to be a hard requirement if we want to make this useful.
>
> I agree that this is essential.  At times, updates, can break existing
> patches.  I am assuming it would be easy enough to spot such build
> failures?  I.e., I am assuming that we will be preserving sufficient
> details from the build log so core developers may be informed.

Yes, you’d see a build failure in Cuirass or whichever tool or service
you’re using.

> Could we please add some minimal code to submit-patch-if-build-succeeds
> to this series?  That would provide a working example of a CI job that
> interacts with debbugs/sends-emails and would allow for greater eyeballs
> on the working state of this jobset.

Again I agree it’d be nice but it’s beyond the scope of this patch
series.

Technically, it would require a separate service/program that would,
say, poll ci.guix via its JSON API to check the status of the jobset
that builds the manifest provided in this series.

Ludo’.