Subject: Re: [bug#74542] [PATCH 11/11] etc: Add upgrade manifest.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2024 20:23:00 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Nov 2024 at 18:18, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> +(define leaf-package-updates
>>> +  ;; Select a subset (~22%) of all the leaf packages, typically small C/C++
>>> +  ;; packages not part of a bigger "collection" or repo (CRAN, PyPI, etc.).
>>> +  (manifest
>>> +   (filter-map (lambda (package)
>>> +                 (and (memq (package-build-system package)
>>> +                            (list gnu-build-system cmake-build-system))
>>> +                      (package-with-upstream-version (pk 'up package))))
>>> +               (leaf-packages))))
>>
>> I would be finer here.  For instance, the manifest contains the same
>> package at several versions, i.e., ’package-with-upstream-version’
>> applies to the same package at different version. Slurm is one example
>> among many others:
>
> Right, so there will be duplicates.  Is that what you mean?

Yes, duplicates.  And also Emacs or Python packages.  As discussed
elsewhere [1] in the thread, when looking more closely to the 2843
packages, the list could be shortened a bit.  In other words, I would be
fine here in the way to filter out. :-)

> (I think it’s okay to have duplicates at this stage, no big deal.)

It will trigger updaters for nothing because we know beforehand either
the updater will fail for whatever reasons, either the updater will
return the same package and thus the duplicates will be removed when
building the manifest.

Well, maybe it’s useless indeed because it saves nothing compared to
watching a online videos or else, but still it hurts me to waste
resource when it could be done a bit differently to avoid such waste.

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#74542] [PATCH 00/11] Improved tooling for package updates
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Tue, 26 Nov 2024 15:59:53 +0100
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/74542
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]