Subject: bug#74502: grep.in.1: Some remarks about this man page

From: Bjarni Ingi Gislason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2024 01:06:23 +0000

Package: grep
Version: upstream
Severity: minor

  Following comes from the next version of "groff" (> 1.23.0).

   * What led up to the situation?

     Checking for defects with

test-[g|n]roff -mandoc -t -K utf8 -rF0 -rHY=0 -ww -b -z < "man page"

  [Use "groff -e ' $' <file>" to find trailing spaces.]

  ["test-groff" is a script in the repository for "groff"; is not shipped]
(local copy and "troff" slightly changed by me).

  [The fate of "test-nroff" was decided in groff bug #55941.]

   * What was the outcome of this action?

troff: backtrace: file '<stdin>':14
troff:<stdin>:14: error: character '|' is not allowed as a delimiter
troff: backtrace: file '<stdin>':15
troff:<stdin>:15: warning: missing closing delimiter in output comparison operator; expected a special character, got a newline
troff: backtrace: file '<stdin>':27
troff:<stdin>:27: error: character '|' is not allowed as a delimiter
troff: backtrace: file '<stdin>':27
troff:<stdin>:27: warning: expected numeric expression, got a space

   * What outcome did you expect instead?

     No output (no warnings).

-.-

  General remarks and further material, if a diff-file exist, are in the
attachments.