Subject: Re: bug#745: pop-to-buffer, frames, and input focus

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:15:44 +0200

>>> I also found the gtk_window_set_focus_on_map function.  This seems to
 >>> rely on the _NET_WM_USER_TIME EWMH.  Sawfish ignores _NET_WM_USER_TIME,
 >>> but it could be useful for other window managers.

How do you find out that Sawfish ignores that?

 > For a window manager which supports it, _NET_SUPPORTED will contain
 > _NET_WM_USER_TIME.  But it wouldn't hurt to set _NET_WM_USER_TIME to 0,
 > because that should be interpreted as "disable focus-on-map".  At least
 > gtk_window_set_focus_on_map sets the property unconditionally.

Do you have one window-manager setting where you can get Emacs

(1) do a `display-buffer' making a new frame without that frame getting
raised and/or input focus, and

(2) give input focus to/raise a frame that hasn't input focus/is not
raised.

entirely using _NET_WM_USER_TIME?  I faintly recall a discussion about a
misinterpretation of timestamps sent to the window-manager (Metacity?)
by Emacs.

martin