Subject: Re: [bug#74497] [PATCH 00/46] Astro update 2024/11.

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2024 09:55:08 +0100

Hello,

Am Sat, Nov 23, 2024 at 07:48:14PM +0000 schrieb Sharlatan Hellseher:
> - NASA's Common Data Format (CDF) project is now packed and available for
>   review, license looks FOSS compatible and not restrictive for modification
>   or distribution.

here is the license text:

"Common Data Format (CDF)
Space Physics Data Facility
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

This software may be copied or redistributed as long as it is not sold
for profit, but it can be incorporated into any other substantive
product with or without modifications for profit or non-profit.  If the
software is modified, it must include the following notices:

  - The software is not the original (for protection of the original
    author's reputations from any problems introduced by others)

  - Change history (e.g. date, functionality, etc.)

This copyright notice must be reproduced on each copy made. This software is
provided as is without any express or implied warranties whatsoever."

I would say that "as long as it is not sold for profit" makes it non-free
unfortunately.

But then the next sentence is really strange, since it is somewhat unclear
what "incorporate" and "substantive" mean - can I sell a music CD (which
is substantive) and put a modified version of the software on the same
support (which is maybe not incorporated)?

But even when selling modifications is possible as part of a bigger
product, I think the conclusion remains that the software itself
is not free.

Andreas